Safeguarding our students
At Langley Grammar School the wellbeing and safety of all students is of paramount importance.
The Governing Board takes seriously its responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and to work together with other agencies to ensure adequate arrangements to identify, assess, and support those children who may be or are suffering harm.
We recognise that all adults, including temporary staff, volunteers and governors, have a full and active part to play in protecting our students from harm, and that the child’s welfare is our paramount concern. All staff at Langley Grammar School provide a caring, positive, safe and stimulating environment that promotes the social, physical and moral development of each individual.
The safeguarding principles adhered to by the school are compliant with the statutory guidance provided in the document Keeping Children Safe in Education (June 2019).
Langley Grammar School Safeguarding Team
|Designated Safeguarding Lead||Simon Cook||
|Deputy Safeguarding Lead (Yrs 7-11)||Zarine Burns||
Behaviour & welfare practitioner
|Deputy Safeguarding Lead (Yrs 12/13)||Helena Makowski||
Director of Sixth Form
Contact details for the safeguarding team can be found in the Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy. To contact a member of the team in an emergency please phone the school Reception on 01753 598300.
What do we mean by safeguarding?
Safeguarding is defined as:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- preventing impairment of children’s health and development
- ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care and
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcome
Safeguarding at Langley Grammar School aims to:
- support students’ development in ways that will foster security, confidence and independence;
- provide an environment in which students feel safe, secure, valued and respected, and know how to approach adults if they are in difficulties, confident they will be effectively listened to;
- raise the awareness of all staff of the need to safeguard our students, and of their responsibilities in identifying and reporting concerns and possible cases of abuse;
- provide a systematic means of monitoring students known or thought to be at risk of harm, and ensure we contribute to assessments of their need and support packages;
- emphasise the need for good levels of communication between all members of staff;
- outline the structured procedure within the school which will be followed by all members of the school community in cases of suspected abuse or other more general safeguarding concerns;
- develop and promote effective working relationships with other agencies, especially the Police and Social Care;
Staff at Langley Grammar School support students by:
- promoting a caring, safe and positive environment within the school;
- encouraging self-esteem and self-assertiveness, through the curriculum as well as our relationships, whilst not condoning aggression or bullying;
- making clear that sexual violence and sexual harassment is not acceptable, will never be tolerated and should not be considered an inevitable part of growing up;
- challenging behaviours which are potentially criminal in nature,
- identifying students who may benefit from early help;
- liaising and working together with all other support services and those agencies involved in the safeguarding of children who may be at risk of significant harm;
There are a number of safeguarding themes/issues about which Langley Grammar School staff are trained to be especially vigilant. These include:
- Child abuse (physical, sexual, emotional and neglect)
- Child exploitation: sexual exploitation, trafficking and 'county lines'
- Extremism and radicalisation
- Child on child abuse (bullying)
- Harmful sexual behaviours
- Online abuse (cyberbullying, sexting)
- Female genital mutilation
- Forced marriage
- Domestic abuse
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Online safety (there are a number of useful links on the website in the Online safety section of the website).
Links to helpful sites for safeguarding and wellbeing
COVID-19 coronavirus information and advice
Langley Grammar School is now closed until further notice. Parents and students have been emailed directly with specific information about the closure period. For information about the school's response to the COVID-19 coronavirus, click here. To find out how to contac...