Procedures for reporting an absence from school
At Langley Grammar School a high level of attendance is expected to help our students make consistent progress in their work. The school monitors student attendance thoroughly and where there is a concern will act accordingly. In addition we regard parents as having a very important role to play in ensuring that their children attend school regularly and punctually.
The procedure for reporting absence is as follows:
If your child is unwell
- The absence of your child must be reported to us for each day they are unwell. This should be done before 8:30am to ensure that the registers are accurate.
- If your child is in Years 7-11, please call Student Support where you can leave a message if someone is not able to answer the phone. You must state your child’s name, form, the name of the person making the call and the reason for the absence.
- To contact Student Support you should ring the main school number 01753 598300 and choose the relevant option as directed in the message.
- You can also please email Student Support directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- On the first day back a note is required from you explaining why your child was away - this is expected for our records even though contact will have been made during his or her absence.
- Medical evidence may be required if your child has accumulated a number of absences.
If your child has a medical appointment
- Medical appointments should wherever possible be made outside of the school day, although we do recognise that this is not always possible.
- Before the appointment, a letter from you must be provided to Student Support stating that your son or daughter will be absent.
- If the appointment is early in the morning, a call should be made to Student Support followed by a letter when your son or daughter returns to school.
In the Sixth Form
- To report your son/daughter's sickness absence or to notify the Sixth Form team of a medical appointment, please email Mrs Khan, our Sixth Form Administrator, directly at email@example.com
Any other absence
For any other type of absence you will need to complete a Leave of Absence form which can be downloaded from the link below. The form should normally be submitted two weeks prior to any absence.
Leave of Absence forms are needed to request the school to authorise absence for reasons such as music exams, religious observance and certain family occasions. This is not an exhaustive list and leave of absence is granted at the discretion of the Headteacher, whose decision is final.
Failure to follow these procedures may result in your child's absence being treated as unauthorised and this will be recorded as such on their attendance record. Please note that the school's normal position is not to authorise any leave which has not been properly requested in advance.